Right now Aeroplan is running a promotion where you can earn 5x Aeroplan miles for purchases through their eStore between October 15-19, 2012. I can personally attest to the fact that you can earn these Aeroplan miles even if you live in the United States. I have earned thousands of Aeroplan miles from ebay.ca purchases over the last year. In fact, I blogged earlier about how to maximize this promotion by earning Aeroplan miles, and then paying for your purchase using eBay gift cards bought at grocery or office stores where you can often earn 3-5% cash back. For instance the American Express Blue Cash Preferred card earns 6% cash back at grocery stores. What’s even better is you can buy gift cards on ebay for purchases you would make anyway like at Subway, Starbucks, Target, Whole Foods, etc. effectively earning over 10% and maybe even more cash back with just a few simple steps.
Here’s how the process unfolds:
1. Go to the grocery store and use your cash back earning credit card to buy eBay gift cards
2. Link through the Aeroplan eStore to eBay.ca and bid on a gift card (usually you can buy them at a discount)
3. Pay for your eBay purchase using the gift card and also earn 2% cash back in eBay bucks
4. Buy what you were originally going to buy anyway
How does the math work out?
1. On a $100 eBay gift card purchase you earn 6% cash back = $6
2. Buy $100 Starbucks gift card for $95 on eBay (they always sell at a discount) = $5
3. Earn 5 x Aeroplan miles on a $100 gift card purchase that you paid $95 for = 475 miles x 1.5 cents/mile = $7.125
4. Earn 2% cash back in eBay bucks for your $95 purchase = $1.90
5. Total cash back = $6 + $5 + $7.13 + $1.9 = $20
You just got 20% off any purchase at your favorite retailer for just doing a few simple steps! I know this is a slightly complex process, but in my mind it’s a low risk way to get a discount on things you were going to buy anyway.